List of Government Polytechnics, Colleges of Education Upgraded to Universities
- Numerous polytechnics and colleges of education in Nigeria has been converted into universities by both federal and state governments.
- This step is taken to increase access to University education for citizens, according to the National Universities Commission (NUC) former executive secretary, Prof Abubakar Rasheed.
- Moreover, the national president of ASUP views the transformation as a “frivolous upgrade” that endangers the future of poly technic education in the country.
Many polytechnics and colleges of education have been transformed to universities by the federal and state governments surrounded by the unfairness and inequity on how the graduates of tertiary institutions are treated.
This details some of the polytechnics and colleges of education that have been upgraded to universities.
Colleges of Education Transformed to Universities
- Adeyemi College of Education
- Alvan Ikoku College of Education
- Saadatu Rimi College of Education
- Emmanuel Alayande College of Education
- Osun State College of Education
- Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education
- Michael Otedola College of Education
- Shehu Shagari College of Education
- College of Education, Agbor
- Abia State College of Education
Polytechnics Transformed to Universities
- Lagos State Polytechnic (Lagos State University of Science and Technology)
- Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro (Delta State University of Science and Technology)
- Abia State Polytechnic
- Abia State College of Health Sciences and Management Studies
- Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic, Ofa
- Yaba College of Technology
- Kaduna State Polytechnic
Why Polytechnics, Colleges of Education are Upgraded to Universities – NUC
Emphasizing the development, the former executive secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof Abubakar Rasheed said the reason for upgrading the institutions to universities was to expand the access to University education for citizens.
However, the national president of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) in the person of Dr Anderson Ezeibe, has a distinctive opinion. Dr Anderson Ezeibe saw this development as a “frivolous upgrade” and “manifestation of lack of consistency in pursuit of vision by proprietors of public Polytechnics in the country”.
He also said that this upgrade puts the future of Polytechnic education at risk.
NUC Rejects NBTE’s HND to BSc Degree Conversion
NUC has rejected a programme floated by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) to change a Higher National Diploma (HND) to a university degree.
The acting executive secretary of the NUC, Chris Maiyaki, reacted to the programme in a statement provided on Saturday, October 14, in Abuja.
He referred to the purported one-year top-up degree programme in Nigerian Polytechnics as a “ruse”
Transport University Daura gets NUC Approval to take off
The Federal University of Transportation, Daura Katsina State, got the acceptance of the National Universities Commission (NUC) to start 14 key programmes.
The pioneer vice chancellor of the University, Prof. Umar Adam Katsayal, unveiled this on Saturday, October 21.
The current established institution has been named the ‘Muhammad Buhari University of Transportation, Daura Katsina State’.